Using an interpreter

An interpreter can go to your appointment with you.

They can be there with you in person, or on a phone or video call.

There's no charge to use an interpreter.

You can use an interpreter:

  • in hospital
  • at primary health care centres
  • when you meet with a specialist.

How to ask for an interpreter

You can ask for an interpreter for any appointment. Your doctor may also ask for an interpreter when they refer you to the hospital.

If you need an interpreter after hours or in the emergency department, look for a poster with the interpreter and Auslan symbols on it. You can point to this and ask a nurse or ward clerk for help.

Using an interpreter card

You can use a Queensland Interpreter Card whenever you’re dealing with a government agency. The card will let our staff know to request an interpreter in the language you need.

Email to request a Queensland interpreter card.

Last updated: September 2023